Without a doubt, the Super 32 tournament is one of the toughest tournaments of the year. It is crucial to have the proper mindset before each match. A robust pre-match routine can significantly impact your performance on the mat. It not only prepares you physically but also aligns your mind and body, setting you up for success. As you approach the Super 32, having a consistent pre-match routine can be the difference between a good day and a great day. Here is a 5-step routine which has helped many of our wrestlers approach each match with the right mentality.
- Deep Breathing: Begin your routine by taking a few moments for deep breathing exercises. This practice helps calm nerves, reduces anxiety, and oxygenates your body. Inhale deeply through your nose, hold for a few seconds, and then exhale slowly through your mouth. This mindful breathing brings your focus to the present moment and prepares you mentally for the match ahead.
- Dynamic Stretching: After calming your mind, it’s time to prepare your body. Engage in dynamic stretching exercises that mimic the movements you’ll be making during the match. This type of stretching not only increases flexibility but also elevates your heart rate and warms up your muscles, preparing them for intense battle.
- Positive Self-Talk: Your mental state plays a intergral role in your performance. Engage in positive self-talk, reaffirming your strengths and abilities. Use affirmations like “I am prepared,” “I am strong,” and “I’ve got this.” These positive statements enhance self-belief and set a confident tone for the match.
- Hands-On Drilling: Far too often, you’ll see wrestlers bouncing and pacing around without putting hands on a drill partner for hours before a match. Mimic practice, where you almost always drill before live wrestling. Spend a few minutes drilling some of your go-to setups and moves or hand fighting to your dominant tie ups. This hands-on practice reinforces muscle memory and starts your engine before the whistle blows. It also helps you avoid distractions before matches and feel more in control and ready for the match.
- Inject Fun: Wrestling is intense, but it’s essential to remember why you started – for the love of the sport. Introduce an element of fun into your pre-match routine. Whether it’s listening to a favorite upbeat song, sharing a light-hearted moment with a teammate, or performing a little dance, this fun element can relieve pressure and remind you of the joy in wrestling. Remember, you get to wrestle you don’t have to wrestle.
Incorporating these elements into your pre-match routine ensures that you’re holistically prepared – mentally, emotionally, and physically. This balanced approach not only improves performance but will also enhance your overall experience at the Super 32. Remember, every match is an opportunity to showcase your skills, learn, and most importantly, have fun. Executing a balanced pre-match routine before each match (regardless of wins and losses) is one of the surest ways to improve your mindset and wrestle more consistently at the Super 32 or any competition.
Make sure to visit Wrestling Mindset’s booth at the Super 32 to learn more about our 1-1 Coaching!